The Oro Cache Mine was a small gold producer in the Beaverhead Mountains near Salmon. It is at the head of Freeman Creek, and was the largest mine in the tiny Carmen Creek Mining District. The mine was supposedly discovered in 1897, and was developed rapidly. It operated intermittently until
Deep in the forests of central Idaho and almost entirely surrounded by the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness is the Sunnyside Mine. Once a large mine, it has been completely reclaimed. It does have some mill ruins left. Discovered by the Caswell brothers in 1899, they sold the mine
Not it's real name, we read about an old mine deep in the forests of Idaho with the remains of a 10-stamp mill and, more interestingly, a "portable" smelter. Smelters are rare, and it's even rarer to find one deep in the backcountry. And
Deep in the woods of Idaho, cinnabar was discovered at the headwaters of Sugar Creek (later renamed Cinnabar Creek) by Pringle Smith in 1902. Actual mining didn’t start until the early 1920s; even then, it was limited to only a few flasks of mercury. The mine was worked in
We got a tour of this mining camp in central Idaho from the caretaker who lives on-site. He was very generous with his time and was happy to show us around. I asked him why the name “Trump” was painted on the mill buildings, and he said: “You never know.
Lost in the woods of central Idaho, we found a Chilean-style roller mill still full of ore waiting to be processed. The mill is a C.C. Lane slow-speed roller mill and was installed at the mill site around 1930. It once had a steam engine to go along with
Not its real name, the mines in this part of Idaho were first worked in the 1880s and 1890s, but development didn’t start in a serious way until the 1920s when the first mill was built on this site. The mill was expanded in 1934 into a 50-ton (per