It’s hard to know why this single stamp mill is at this location. It isn’t right next to the mine it supported and it isn’t on any road.
The area was first worked by A. J. Franklin in 1871, but the mine always had problems due to its remoteness and lack of water. It wasn’t until 1910 and another company, the Pennsylvania Mining and Leasing Company, took over that the mine had this little mill installed.
But, as often happens, grand dreams of riches faded with the harsh realities of developing remote mines. The mill never seems to have been used. Yet, this is a neat little spot in the wilds of Death Valley.