In 1867, the La Plata Company moved a ten-stamp mill from the mining camp of Yankee Blade to Park Canyon and built an extensive mill from native stone. The mill ran ore from a few different mines, including the Giant mine, but mainly the silver ore from the Buckeye mine in Summit Canyon kept the mill busy.
The ores were inconsistent, however, and the mill closed in 1869. The mill and mines operated intermittently in the following years and fell idle for the last time in 1915. It was sold to the Round Mountain Mining Company in 1920, and most of the equipment was removed. Today, the outer masonry shell of the mill still stands at the entrance to Park Canyon and makes an interesting place to visit and camp.