The Paymaster mine was also known as the Black Warrior mine. It was reported to be a good producer in the Gold Park district. Mined for gold, it had a 140 ft shaft with two levels of drifts and cross-cuts. Information on ownership and production is scarce. Bill Keys believed it was discovered before 1900 by Bill McHaney. Keys reportedly purchased it in 1913. He worked the mine a little but typically leased it out.
P. O. Murphy bought it from Keys sometime around 1939. Murphy and someone by the name of E. Leith owned it in 1945. Ore shipped to the Burton Bros mill in Rosamond (Kern County) and is reported to have milled $35 per ton in gold.